Always store your candles in a cool, dark and dry place. Although candles are designed to be melted, excessive heat and sunlight can cause the wax to sweat. This is evident by beads that form on the surface of the candle. As the wax sweats, the scent of the candle can be affected. A candle that is not stored correctly can also have a reduced fragrance throw.
Lighting Your Candle
Before lighting your candle, trim the candle wick to approximately 5mm. The first time you use your new candle, burn for at least 2-3 hours, allowing the wax to burn evenly across the surface. Scented candles develop a 'burn memory' and a candle that has not been burnt right to the edges on its initial use, will 'tunnel' and burn unevenly through the centre of the wax.
Maximising Your Burn Time
For maximum burn time, always keep candle wicks trimmed to approximately 5mm. Not only will trimming the wick help your candle to burn evenly, but it will also eliminate smoking and minimise soot forming on the glass. However, a small amount of soot around the edges of the glass vessel is normal, particularly as your candle reaches the bottom. To remove, simply wipe with a wet cloth while the glass is still warm.
Ensure you position your scented candle away from drafts. A draft can result in an uneven burn and will reduce the life of your candle. Always burn your candle for at least 2 hours at a time, but never burn a scented candle for more than 4 hours. After 4 hours, extinguish the flame and allow to cool. Once the candle has cooled, trim the wick and it may be lit again.
Extinguishing Your Candle
When extinguishing your candle, never blow out the flame. This can not only damage the candle, but will also taint your beautifully scented room with the smell of smoke! Extinguish your candle by plunging the wick into the melt pool, pulling it back up straight and centred. This wax coating will protect your wick and keep your soy candle from smoking. Or consider investing in a candle snuffer to effectively extinguish the candle flame. Stop burning your candle when you have about 2 cm of wax left. Any remaining wax can be melted using an oil burner.
When the candle is fully burned out it is a simple matter to wipe the remaining melted wax away with a paper towel and wash the container out with hot soapy water. It is then safe to use for any other purpose.